Guide to opening your NY 529 account
When you’re ready to open an account, here’s what you can expect.
First, we'll need some basic information:
- Your Social Security number.
- Your birth date.
- Your beneficiary's Social Security number.
- Your beneficiary's birth date.
Then we'll set up your account, where you'll ...
- Choose your investment option(s).
- Set up your contribution method. If you're going to make contributions electronically, you'll need your checkbook handy for bank routing and account numbers.
- Decide how you want to receive confirmations and updates from us.
Finally, you'll confirm your information
Once you review and submit your information, you'll be on your way to saving for higher education!
What happens next?
Continue to make contributions
Contribute to your plan account whenever it's convenient—by check or electronic bank transfer. Or, you can set up recurring contributions (also known as an automatic investment plan, or AIP) when you open your account or at any time later on.
Monitor your investments
No matter which investments you choose, it's a good idea to review them periodically. You can view statements and performance information online.
Pay higher-education bills
When you request a withdrawal to pay for qualified higher-education expenses, you can have the money sent to yourself, the student, or an eligible school.